Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Scottish Terrier on Cotman paper


So, If you've been following this blog, you know that I have a ream of Cotman paper that I'm trying to use up. Watercolors are my thing and I prefer the Arches coldpress, but got a ream of this Cotman. The artworks end up as mixed medias, but hey, that's okay too.
This is a Scottish Terrier that I'm working on. This is going to be a challenge on this paper because this dog is entirely black. The Cotman has issues holding on to the paint so that this may end up pretty smudgey.... we'll see. My other challenge is to try to keep my black consistantly black. I don't use black paint out of the tube, instead I mix Burnt Umber and Ultramarine Blue. So I have to try to be careful not to go too brown or too blue. And then, since this will be a mixed media piece, when the pencil overlay comes in.. that's when the blues and the browns show up.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I love that breed's eyebrows!
Can't wait to see how he turns out!